About the Department
Civil Engineering is a professional engineering discipline and it is the mother branch of engineering that deals with planning, design, construction and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works such as buildings, roads, dams, runway, harbour, towers, bridges etc. Civil engineering is the oldest engineering discipline after military engineering, and it was defined to distinguish non-military engineering from military engineering. The department provides a teaching learning environment through which students learn the art of development and sustainability.
It is traditionally broken into several sub-disciplines including Surveying, Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Construction Engineering, Mining Engineering and Coastal Engineering.
Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan Institute of Technology is affiliated to Anna University Chennai. Department of Civil Engineering follows the courses and subjects prescribed by Anna University which provides in-depth studies in the following main stream subjects.
- Construction Techniques Equipment and Practices
- Fluid mechanics
- Mechanics of Solids
- Engineering Geology
- Strength of materials
- Highway Engineering
- Applied Hydraulic Engineering
- Soil mechanics
- Foundation Engineering
- Structural Analysis
- Railway Engineering
- Design of Steel Structures
- Construction planning and scheduling
- Irrigation Engineering
- Estimation and Quantity Surveying
- Dynamics and Aseismic Design
- Reinforced Concrete Brick Masonry Structure
- Pre stressed Concrete Design
- Principles of Management.
- Environmental Engineering
- Municipal Solid Waste Management
- Prefabricated Structures
- Repair and Rehabilitation of Structures
- Management of Irrigation system
- Engineering Economics and Cost Analysis
Guest lectures on latest advance topic and upcoming fields are conducted by experts from research and industries organizations.
Student development programs
- Auto CADD
- STAAD Pro
- Personal Development Training
- Aptitude Test, Group Discussion,
- General Ability Training Programs